Fine Art Digital Printing - Spring 2021
- CANCELED -
|DAY / TIME||Wednesday 6-9pm (Pacific Time) | March 31 - June 2, 2021|
|TUITION||$825 + $45 Materials Fee|
Payment & Refund Policy
|FORMAT||Hybrid: Online + Small group printing sessions at PCNW; online sessions will be hosted as live, interactive meetings utilizing the Zoom platform along with Google Drive for sharing files.|
|PREREQS||Photoshop Basics (Formerly Digital Imaging I: Photoshop Fundamentals); Recommended Digital Imaging II: Advanced Photoshop|
|CREDITS||3 – Fulfills Fine Art Printing requirement for Certificate Program|
Learn how to produce high-quality fine art digital prints. Master a workflow, understand paper options, and develop critical color management skills that will ensure the best possible print quality. Learn how to read prints and understand which adjustments in Photoshop will help you achieve your vision. The course will also address an understanding of the nature of the photograph as a printed object and how that decision directly impacts how the photograph is experienced, read, and critiqued.
Through lecture, hands-on practice, and in-class demonstrations, students will learn a number of techniques and concepts to further printing skills, with topics including:
- Discussion of various aesthetics and impacts of the fine-art print as an option for the photographic medium
- Implementing color management principles and practices
- Developing a consistent and effective printing workflow (non-destructive)
- Editing images using various digital tools and techniques
- Evaluating and selecting the proper medium for fine-art printing
- Evaluating various printers and printing specific software programs and settings
- Printing images both in color and black and white
- Define and articulate your digital workflow
- Edit and process your digital images to match your aesthetic and intention using the tools in Lightroom and Photoshop
- Ability to implement a color managed workflow
- Print a fine art image using appropriate settings and options in various printers
- Understand and articulate the impacts of substrates and printing selections on a final print
- This course will comprise both online meetings and small group in-person sessions in PCNW's digital printing lab.
- Students must have proficient working knowledge of digital image editing through Adobe Photoshop to join this class, as covered in our Photoshop Basics and/or Advanced Photoshop courses.
- Students should expect to spend several hours per week on assignments for this course, which may require use of PCNW facilities; view our Rental Rates for details about additional fees.
- The Materials Fee for the course includes a digital print allotment for in-class and outside-of-class printing, the details of which will be shared on the first day. Other supplies, additional prints, etc., are the responsibility of the student.
- Additional information about course expectations and required materials will be provided by the instructor at the start of the quarter.
Image: Class review of digital prints in PCNW digital lab