Black & White Printing Basics (February Session) - Winter 2022
- COURSE IS FULL - To be added to the wait-list, add to cart and proceed through check-out. You will be asked to provide contact/billing information but will not be required to enter any payment information.
|DATE / TIME||February 13, 2022 | Sunday 12:30-5:30pm|
Payment & Refund Policy
|FORMAT||In-person, enrollment is limited to 10 students; review our COVID-19 Safety Protocols for information about requirements for students, faculty, and staff.|
|PREREQS||None; students must have a 35mm SLR Film Camera|
This is a one-day workshop designed for beginners in the black and white darkroom, but it can also serve as a refresher for anyone who is rekindling a relationship with the darkroom. Bring negatives that you've processed (or had processed through a lab) and come explore the fun part: making prints! We’ll cover everything from the basic printing steps, to more advanced printing techniques like dodging, burning, and using filters. Most importantly you’ll have a chance to print in the black and white darkroom alongside a seasoned pro who can lend personalized advice – every print is different, and requires special attention! You can become a better darkroom printer in hours with the assistance and feedback of one of our instructors.
Topics covered include:
- Printing and evaluating a contact sheet
- Creating the best possible print from a negative, with correct exposure, contrast, and tone
- Using different filter techniques, like split filter printing
- Localized exposure control through dodging and burning
- Print evaluation techniques
- Darkroom workflow
- Printing in a community darkroom, and much more!
- Students must bring black and white negatives that are processed and ready for printing, and a box or folder to take home completed prints
- PCNW will provide black and white paper for darkroom printing during the workshop
Image credit: Lilly Everett