Photoshop Basics - Winter 2023
- COURSE IS FULL - To be added to the wait-list, add to cart and proceed through check-out. You will be asked to provide contact/billing information but will not be required to enter any payment information.
|DAY / TIME||Monday 6-9pm | January 9 - March 13, 2023*|
|*No class on January 16 - MLK Jr Day; an additional class meeting will be scheduled during the quarter|
|TUITION||$825 + $35 Materials Fee|
Payment & Refund Policy
|FORMAT||In-person, enrollment is limited to 11 students; review our COVID-19 Safety Protocols for information about requirements for students, faculty, and staff who will be onsite at PCNW.|
|PREREQS||Photography I: Digital; Basic computer skills required|
|CREDITS||3 – Fulfills Photoshop Basics requirement for Certificate Program|
Survey the applications of Photoshop CC in this introduction to the digital imaging process. Explore the digital darkroom using familiar photographic concepts, as well as new digital tools. Learn basic editing functions, and move into more complex operations with layers, masks, color correction and printing. Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard for image editing and production; through real world projects you will learn your way around this program from the ground up.
- Learn to navigate Photoshop CC as well as many of its "professional" tools
- Open, edit and import different file types (RAW, DNG, PSD, TIFF, JPEG)
- Develop the ability to work in a series and successfully match images in a sequence
- Learn to control color temperature, sharpening, localized corrections, and white balance
- An introduction and overview of digital workflow and image editing using Adobe Camera RAW, Lightroom and Photoshop CC
Students will complete the course with:
- Fluency in basic Photoshop CC functions as well as a road map for working with Lightroom
- Familiarity with layers, masks, selections, as well as photo restoration and editing
- Understanding of the ideas behind digital workflow, from upload to editing, printing, and export
- Exploration of photography and editing as a creative tool for personal expression
- Students should expect to spend several hours per week on assignments for this course, which may require use of PCNW facilities; view our Rental Rates for details about additional fees.
- The Materials Fee for the course includes a digital print allotment for in-class and outside of class printing, the details of which will be shared on the first day. Hourly rental and other supplies are the responsibility of the student.
- Additional information about course expectations and required materials will be provided by the instructor at the start of the quarter.
Image by Race Dillon