Continuing Zone - Spring 2021
|DAY / TIME||Tuesday 6-9pm | March 30 - June 1, 2021|
|TUITION||$825 + $35 Materials Fee|
Payment & Refund Policy
|FORMAT||In-person, enrollment is limited to 6 students; review our COVID-19 Safety Protocols PDF for information about requirements for students, faculty, and staff who will be onsite at PCNW.|
|PREREQS||Introduction to Zone|
|CREDITS||3 – Fulfills Elective requirement for Certificate Program|
Continuing Zone focuses on advanced applications of the zone system and theory to help you expand, refine and develop your skills as a black and white photographer. After you completed Introduction to Zone and several series of film tests, you have the skills to understand how to properly expose and develop your film for a variety of situations. In this course, we will focus on advancing your understanding of how to use the full latitude of the zone system to help you gain a mastery of any lighting situation with the focus being on the development of your personal vision and style. Over the course of the ten weeks, we will cover topics such as personal interpretation and reinterpretation of light, extreme development (expansion and contraction), alternative developers, use of filters for creative effect, and continued survey of master black and white photographers.
- The class has one or two field trips that are required and take place outside of class hours. These field trips are to allow us to work in the field applying the skills discussed in class with the support of the instructor.
- Students will need to have their film data (N, N+1 and N-1) numbers from Introduction to Zone at the start of the quarter.
- Students should expect to spend several hours per week on assignments for this course, which will require use of PCNW facilities; view our Rental Rates for details about additional fees.
- The Materials Fee for the course includes demonstration materials and other costs associated with in-class use of the darkroom. Students will be required to purchase film, paper, and developers to complete assignments for the course.
- Additional information about course expectations and required materials will be provided by the instructor at the start of the quarter.
Image © Robert Rodriguez-Lawson, Continuing Zone Student Fall 2019