Crash Course in Black & White Printing (Darkroom)
We take our community's health seriously – review our COVID-19 Safety Protocols PDF for information about requirements for students, faculty, and staff returning to PCNW.
Select one from the following:
July 18, 2020 | Saturday 12:30-5:30pm
|TUITION||$135 | Payment & Refund Policy|
|PREREQS||None; students must have black and white negatives processed and ready for printing|
This is a workshop designed for beginners in the Black and White darkroom, but it can also serve as a refresher for anyone who is rekindling a relationship with black and white darkroom processes. Bring negatives that you've processed (or had processed through a lab) and come explore the fun part: making prints! We’ll cover everything from the basic printing steps, to more advanced printing techniques like dodging, burning, and using filters. Most importantly you’ll have a chance to print in the darkroom alongside a seasoned pro who can lend personalized advice – every print is different, and requires special attention! You can become a better darkroom printer in hours with the assistance and feedback of one of our instructors.
Topics covered include:
- Creating the best possible print from a negative, with correct exposure, contrast, and tone
- Using different filter techniques, like split filter printing
- Localized exposure control through dodging and burning
- Print evaluation techniques
- Darkroom workflow
- Printing in a community darkroom, and much more!
- Students must bring black and white negatives that are processed and ready for printing, and a box or folder to take home completed prints
- PCNW will provide black and white paper for darkroom printing during the workshop
Looking to take a series of courses to develop your skills? Create your own with the following courses:
Crash Course in Black and White Film Photography
Crash Course: Photographing in Natural Light
Crash Course in Reading Photographs