Light Control Basics - Winter 2019
- CANCELED -
|DAY / TIME||Thursdays 6-9pm | January 10 - March 14, 2019|
|TUITION||$825 + $35 Materials Fee | Payment & Refund Policy|
|PREREQS||Photography II: Digital OR Photo I: B&W + Contemporary Color|
|CREDITS||3 – Fulfills Light Control requirement for Certificate Program|
This course will introduce students to the core concepts of lighting, beginning with an exploration of continuous light (window light, hot lights and daylight-balanced sources). The class will then learn about the art of using fill cards, color temperature, catch lights, and light patterns for portraits (such as Rembrandt light). Finally, take this knowledge and transition to the studio to study the use of strobes, modifiers, the flash meter, colored gels, backdrops and good studio practices. Learn how to apply these techniques to light still lives, portraits, and other subjects.
- Students must provide their own camera.
- Students should expect to spend several hours per week on assignments for this course, which will require use of PCNW facilities; view our Rental Rates for details about additional fees.
- The Materials Fee for the course includes costs associated with in-class demonstrations and use of studio equipment and materials such as backdrops, gels and other modifiers.
- Students may need to rent or purchase additional equipment based on personal preference and projects, but primary lighting equipment and accessories are included with studio rental at PCNW.
- Additional information about course expectations and required materials will be provided by the instructor at the start of the quarter.
Image © Brian Allen & Fall 2017 Light Control Class